Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ M -- R ] > Mothman Prophecies, The (2002)

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Mothman Prophecies, The (2002)

What do you see?

Old Jun 8, 2002, 02:36 PM   #1
JACKER
The Paradisal Man
1,359 flights since Dec 2001
Real Events?

I heard this movie was offle by some, but good by others. What bothers me is that they're taking these events from real events and people. Does anyone believe that this was or is real? I sure don't. That's not to say I'd like to find out either. There's probably a million things wrong with the story.
JACKER is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2002, 05:36 AM   #2
Nexus
Psycho Teddy Sausage
3,648 flights since Dec 2001
Re: Real Events?

i dont think its true. for no reason at all!
Nexus is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2002, 08:02 PM   #3
kinetickyle
Starfighter
112 flights since Aug 2002

The story is based on the collapse of the Silver Bridge near Point Pleasant, WV on Dec. 15 1967. So, except for the date, that part is true. Legends say that there were sightings of the Mothman, but I don't know the validity of all that. It is a creature that has been reported near areas of disaster, but its kind of like the Jersey Devil or Bigfoot. Make your own decision...
kinetickyle is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2002, 08:23 PM   #4
Phlub
The Head Hunter
2,285 flights since Mar 2001

Yes indeed all of these events are true. If I remember correctly they said at the end of the movie that this was based off of actual events that occured as Kinetyckle said on 12/15/67.
Phlub is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2002, 09:36 PM   #5
Terminator4life
Starfighter
106 flights since Nov 2002

They should make a movie about Alchebunebrae aka the ghot sucker
Terminator4life is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2003, 05:14 PM   #6
Phlub
The Head Hunter

Yes after doing further research, these events did happen.

So I really think that the fact that these events happened really ups the quality of this movie.
Old Feb 5, 2003, 03:23 PM   #7
The one......
Sector Marshall
600 flights since Dec 2002

Quote:
Originally posted by Oogaphlub

So I really think that the fact that these events happened really ups the quality of this movie.

But HOW much of it is true? Any links, or places for info? The story was ok in it's own right , but to hear that it was based on the truth is quite nerving. Like you say Phlub, it definately adds to the film knowing that.
The one...... is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2003, 12:04 AM   #8
Phlub
The Head Hunter

Well I looked up "Mothman" and "Mothman" only, on Yahoo or Google and it came up with a few links. And well they all collabarate back to about December 1968.

And I mean it is only the truth that it makes it more suspensful or scary becuase you know that it actually happened and so the Mothman is almost a scary topic.
Old Apr 26, 2003, 05:34 PM   #9
Queen
Pilot
21 flights since Mar 2003

Heh, the day after i watched it, when i was the only one in the house, the phone just kept on ringing....i was shpooked.
Queen is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2003, 10:16 PM   #10
Phlub
The Head Hunter

Well the phone ringing got me on edge for about 2 days after I had seen the movie.

But it wears off!
Old Jun 4, 2003, 06:15 PM   #11
Flowrchild
Starfighter
131 flights since Apr 2003

Quote:
Originally posted by Oogaphlub

But there really is *No* proof that these events did happen. Yes the bridge did collapse, but there was no evidence that it was a result of a huge flying moth creature. A few people claimed to have seen the mothman, but there is no physical proof of him, or photographs taken, etc. People also claim frequently that an alien or UFO has landed in their backyards, but there is no proof of any of this either. The movie is basically taking a myth and linking it to a tragic event that happened in the town.
Flowrchild is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2003, 10:51 PM   #12
kinetickyle
Starfighter
112 flights since Aug 2002

The movie was based on the 1975 book by a paranormal investigator named John A. Keel. In the book, he discusses the connection between the sighting and the collapse of the bridge. So, there is at least some truth in the movie, not just the linking of myth and actual disaster.
kinetickyle is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2003, 07:32 AM   #13
Flowrchild
Starfighter
131 flights since Apr 2003

I read the book AND saw the movie, and I still see no real evidence of the mothman creature. A few people claimed to have seen it while the bridge was collapsing, but as we know, eye-witness testimony is often debatable.
Flowrchild is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2003, 11:53 PM   #14
Unregistered
n/a flights since

The Fortean Times debunked Keel's story by finding its source, a rather unbelievable contactee who claimed that Indrid Cold was a man from Venus who always had his hands in his armpits to warm himself in Earth's chillier climate, and that Venus was populated by pacifist nudists who who drank decaffienated coffee and had a sport similar to badmitton. no one much believed the guy of course, except for Keel
Old Sep 20, 2003, 12:31 PM   #15
broken tusk
Wing Commander
461 flights since Jul 2003

Keel wasn't the only one who publist the mothman story the local newspaper in the town that it happened in was obsest with it.
broken tusk is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ M -- R ] > Mothman Prophecies, The (2002)