Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ] > Demolition Man (1993)

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Demolition Man (1993)

The 21st century's most dangerous cop. The 21st century's most ruthless criminal. | guide

Old Dec 11, 2002, 08:42 PM   #1
Unregistered
n/a flights since
Lori Petty lost scenes?

I vaguely remember seeing some behind the scenes footage with Lori Petty playing Lenina on MTV, a very long time ago... Am I the only one? Did someone know if they really shoot several scenes with her before finally replacing her with Sandra Bullock?
MMcT
Old Dec 12, 2002, 02:42 PM   #2
demolition18
Sector Marshall
521 flights since Jan 2002
The Facts (alternate versions and trivia)

Sandra Bullock replaced Lori Petty after a few days filming.

A poster for Lethal Weapon 3 (1992) can be seen in Lenina Huxley's office. Both films had Mark Poll as a set designer.

Many of the cars in the movie were prototypes of future models, supplied by General Motors.

"Lenina Huxley" is a reference to the character "Lenina Crowne", a character in "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley. At one point she says to John Spartan, "John, you're a savage," thus alluding to the Brave New World character John the Savage.

For some non-American releases, references to Taco Bell were changed to Pizza Hut. This includes dubbing, plus changing the logos during post-production. Taco Bell remains in the closing credits.

The UK released version still refers to Taco Bell and not Pizza Hut.

Sylvester Stallone wanted the Simon Phoenix character to be played by Jackie Chan. Chan refused the role because he does not like to play evil characters.

The television version omits the reference that Simon Phoenix makes to cannibal killer Jeffrey Dahmer.

UK version is cut by 2 seconds to attain a "15" rating.

Scenes shot but not used in the final film include a subplot involving John Spartan's daughter and the killing of Zachary Lamb by Simon Phoenix. This scenes were cut to shorten running time.

The scene where Simon kills the guards in the cryo prison was also trimmed but this time because it was too graphic. Originally the audience could see the guards being killed by the bullets.

At one point Bullock surprises Stallone by showing her karate moves. He asks her where she learned that and she said from old Jackie Chan movies.

In the museum armory, Simon Phoenix (Wesley Snipes) referred to one of the mannequins as Rambo, a character played by Sylvester Stallone in three earlier movies.

The "ray gun" used by Wesley Snipes in the Hall Of Weapons sequence is a Heckler & Koch G11, a prototype weapon for the West German army that would have been the most advanced rifle in the world, firing caseless ammunition (bullets, not death rays).

Benjamin Bratt's character, "Alfredo Garcia", is named after the Sam Pekinpah Film, _Bring me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (1974)_

At one point, Lenina Huxley (Sandra Bullock) says to John Spartan, "While you were sleeping....", referring to the time he was frozen. Bullock was in the movie While You Were Sleeping (1995)."

During TV Replays, the computer announcing the reanimation of Jeffrey Dahmer and Simon Phoenix says "I love that guy!" is deleted. Dahmer was killed in "normal" prison after release of the movie so the line became anachronistic.

At the beginning, Simon Phoenix says "I'd lose my head if it wasn't attached", to which John Spartan replies, "I'll keep that in mind," foreshadowing what Spartan does to Phoenix in the cryo-prison at the end.

After breaking out of the cryogenic prison and using the information booth, Wesley Snipes refers to the booth as HAL from Kubrick's 2001:A Space Odessey.

A poster for Lethal Weapon 3 (1992) can be seen in Lenina Huxley's office. Steve Kahan who plays Captain Healy also played Captain Ed Murphy in the Lethal Weapon movies. Both films were produced by Joel Silver.

Warden William Smithers is named after the actor William Smithers who played the sadistic Warden Barrot in Papillon (1973).

The building used for exterior shots of the SAPD building was the California Headquarters of GTE in Thousand Oaks.

In the TV version aired on TNT, all references to Taco Bell are removed, even from the middle of sentences, leaving some very jagged cuts in the dialog and rapid cuts from one shot to another.

The german TV Version, wich is rated "not under 12" is cut for violence (about 5 minutes). The Video and DVD releases (rated "not under 16") are uncut.

The TBS broadcast eliminates all references to Taco Bell, rendering several lines of dialog incomprehensible. Early in the movie, Sandra Bullock's character uses the word "*******," but the TBS version replaces this with the word "eyesore." (She still gets fined for swearing, however!).

The TBS Superstation broadcasts omit the scene where Spartan eats a hamburger made of rat meat, possibly due to a major fast food chain being a sponsor of the broadcast.
demolition18 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2002, 03:08 PM   #3
Unregistered
n/a flights since
Re: Lori Petty lost scenes?

So, they actually shot scenes WITH Lori Petty as Lenina!

As far as I can remember, the scene I saw on this old MTV show was the ending scene where Stallone kisses the girl... But I may be wrong here!

MMcT

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ] > Demolition Man (1993)