Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ F -- L ] > Gattaca (1997)

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Gattaca (1997)

There is no gene for the human spirit. | guide

Old Dec 17, 2002, 05:35 AM   #1
Oscar
Sector Marshall
756 flights since Feb 2002
Esperanto.

There was some esperanto spoken in the movie Gattaca. I actually found this out after wondering a bit in what language were the infothingies spoken when someone for example walked through the hallway etc. and after this and checking the info on Gattaca from sciflicks.com. All I know is that esperanto is an artificial language made before the second world war. Well I am not exatly sure about the time, but that's what I have heard.

I've read from some paper that UN is "devoloping" a new sort of a worldwide language. Some kind of a mix of qualities from different languages etc. This was some years ago so I don't know is the project still going or was it sacked.

Since the mankind will probably have a some kind of future in space exploration and colonizing other planets etc. we'll probably need a common language. So, do you think that in the future will have a common artificial language of some kind or just english as most of the people of the world today?
Oscar is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2002, 05:42 AM   #2
ThinWLady
Mrs. Tony Harrison
1,295 flights since Feb 2002
Re: Esperanto.

Babel thingy? Well, they didn't have same language all around the Gattaca world, didn't they...

It would be really hard to get everybody speak same language. So many people thinks that they don't need any other languages but that they already use. Like Frenchies and those odd human beings on Åland. So, probably that will never happend.
ThinWLady is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2002, 07:58 AM   #3
Oscar
Sector Marshall

Quote:
Originally posted by ThinWLady
Babel thingy? Well, they didn't have same language all around the Gattaca world, didn't they...

Babel???

Well I doubt they all speak english everywhere... "in the world" of this movie. But since there was esperanto spoken in the Gattaca Aerospace corporation. I jumped to conclusion that everyone must have known esperanto (speak, write, read...) since some additional info was spoken through the loudspeakers of the gattaca corp. in hallways etc. Plus the "genetrader" who got Vincent in contact with Jerome said: "They don't care where you were born just how". From this I got the impression you could basicly come from anywhere and work where you pleased (with good enought genes of course) and of course to do this you would need to speak the same language. Wich esperanto probably was... at least I seem to got this impression.

What!? There's human beings in Åland!
Old Dec 18, 2002, 12:57 AM   #4
ThinWLady
Mrs. Tony Harrison
1,295 flights since Feb 2002

Quote:
Originally posted by Oscar

Babel???

I meant the tower... (and of course Douglas Adams' invention: ).

It might be so as you've figured out but remember earlier discussions of racism in Gattaca. If the "normal" racism has been cut off by this thing with genes, new form of it has appeared ( ~ nobody likes people who are "normal"). Then it doesn't matter anymore what language you'll speak, because you may have ability to learn just any language easier by the changes that they've made to your genes. Your accent has no matter because all people are equal except those "normals" of course.
ThinWLady is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2002, 07:27 AM   #5
Oscar
Sector Marshall

Ouh yes babel silly me... knew I heard that from somewhere.

Aaah... I've almost absolutely forgot the "normals" (invalids). Good point. Didn't exatly thought of that. Maybe it was a "common" language just among the "elite".

Last edited by Oscar : Dec 18, 2002 at 11:09 AM.
Old Dec 18, 2002, 06:20 PM   #6
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer
2,877 flights since Nov 2001

Do you realize that the most widely spoken artificial languege on this little planet is KLINGON?
If the world needs an artificial languege for its lingua franka (though I don't see why...) The Warrior's Tounge is as good as any.

SF_not_Sci-Fi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2002, 07:45 AM   #7
Tack
Spawn of Nurgle
1,492 flights since Dec 2001

This is also going on in the Ender series. On Earth there is one langauge as the common tounge but alot of other langauges that are also used. Later on portugese and stark are used on lusatania, and chinese on Path. so the was once a common tounge but I don't know if it is still used. A common tougne wouldn't hurt to learn. It would be nice to cut out the steps of learning a bunch of different langauges.
Tack is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ F -- L ] > Gattaca (1997)