Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Pilot's Mess [chit-chat zone]

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Pilot's Mess [chit-chat zone]

This is the forum to get to know your fellow pilots and the ONLY place to talk about everything else not really relevant to sci-fi movies, including your personal loves and interests. A true pilot doesn't discuss these issues while on duty.

Old Jan 20, 2003, 06:05 PM   #1
YautjaKShai
Starfighter
98 flights since Oct 2001
Lightbulb Predator's Invisible Camoflauge Suit A Reality

Well, for anyone here a fan of Predator, you probably know this bit of info already... for those of you who don't, let me fill you in...

When Predator was finished (in 1987), it was shown privately before military officials at the Pentagon. During the coarse of the movie, one general stood up and literally yelled "I WANT ONE OF THOSE", regarding the icredible camoflage device that the Predator stalking Dutch & his group was using.

Since then, the government has been trying to develop such a device.

It has finally been created after over 15 years of working. The newest issue of National Geographic has a 3 page artcile on it, and an INCREDIBLE picture of 2 soldiers using the device. If you look hard enough, you can see one of them against the brick wall background. The other is just coming out of camo, and you can only see his head.

It looks amazingly like the Predator's camo technology. The only difference is the lack of lines that seem to outline the Predator's body in the movies.

These government created camo devices are damn near PERFECT.

Definetly something work checking out. I am surprised that the article does not mention that the idea for the units came from Predator, but none-the-less, that's where the military came up with the idea.

Just FYI
~K'Shai
YautjaKShai is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2003, 06:49 PM   #2
Kieraganion
Sector Marshall
781 flights since Oct 2002
Re: Predator's Invisible Camoflauge Suit A Reality

Cool...Though I'd hate to see what those would do if they got into the wrong hands....Is there a link to the artical?
Kieraganion is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2003, 08:10 PM   #3
Phlub
The Head Hunter
2,285 flights since Mar 2001

Yes I would love I like to that. I find it very cool. But yet a little bit suspicous that the government would share that.
Phlub is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2003, 09:06 PM   #4
xXx
Sector Marshall
760 flights since Mar 2002

I'm wearing one of the suits right now.... That shimmer you see out of the corner of your eye is me....

BOO!
xXx is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2003, 09:18 PM   #5
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer
2,877 flights since Nov 2001

The concept of such a device has existed in SF long before 1987
SF_not_Sci-Fi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2003, 06:11 AM   #6
Iwata
Autarch
2,558 flights since Aug 2001

I saw a documentary once on that suit, where they used a lot of footage from "Predator".

Anyway, in the end of the documentary, they showed a prototype of the suit, and I was amazed. The guy was standing in front of the camera, in the woods, and I only saw him when he moved.
Anyway, there's hardly any special high-tech involved. How do they do it? the whole body-suit has hundreds of tiny mirrors that reflect the environment, capice?
Iwata is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2003, 08:10 AM   #7
The one......
Sector Marshall
600 flights since Dec 2002

Oh, it's like a kinky sequin number then? Must get me one of those...
The one...... is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2003, 08:44 AM   #8
Phlub
The Head Hunter
2,285 flights since Mar 2001

I'd still like a link on how to find out more about it and what it looks like.

But SF you can't help but think that "Predator" really helped make more of a push for the suit though.
Phlub is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2003, 02:27 PM   #9
Sharky
Cluster Admiral
1,670 flights since Nov 2001

There was a similar article in Empire this month about Bond's invisible Aston Martin in Die Another Day. They said it was simply a question of projecting images from behind the object in front of the object. Some guys from NASA said they were working on something like it but said that when a bird inevitably craps on your hood you're screwed. I wonder if the same applies to a camoflage suit
Sharky is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2003, 03:47 PM   #10
YautjaKShai
Starfighter
98 flights since Oct 2001
Lightbulb Re: Predator's Invisible Camoflauge Suit A Reality

Well, I tried to find a link to it on National Geopgraphic's website, but there isn't one. Obviously, they want you to go out and buy the magazine rather than look at it one the web!

But, just to let you know, that although the invisibility idea has been around in SF for a long time, it was Predator that sparked the military's inspiration for the camo suit.

~K'Shai
YautjaKShai is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Nation > Pilot's Mess [chit-chat zone]