Go Back   Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ] > Back to the Future [movie series]

Welcome to the SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums.

You are currently viewing our community boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free and open-minded sci-fi community you will be able to start and reply to forum discussions, write movie reviews, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or with your account please contact support here.

Old Apr 16, 2003, 03:17 AM   #1
Ivan
formerly known as Ivanhoe
1,574 flights since Nov 2000
Time travel and cloning

When you time travel to the past, say 1 week in the past you clone yourself, since there are two versions of you(one a week younger). But when you time travel to the future you clone yourself also. At least that is what BTTF suggests.

This is another contradiction since when you time travel to the future, as Emmet said and showed with Einstein, you skip over that time.

If this is true then how can Marti and Jeniffer see Future versions of themselves. Why didn't they skip over these 30 years? These thirty years should have developed without their presence because they technically were not there. Therefore ... No one can see its future. Only the past.

Another Mistake, damn.

Time machine or Predicability machine? Hmmm ...
Ivan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2003, 03:55 AM   #2
Ivan
formerly known as Ivanhoe
1,574 flights since Nov 2000
Re: Time travel and cloning

I've been thinking a lot about BTTF and it s time travel , trying to make any sence of it. Yes it is flawed by all conventionall time travel theories but I came to a wierd concept of how it could be unflawed.

Merging active time periods. What does this mean.

Its main assumtion that time travel is not a rule but instead an anomally.

Universe is a sistem that is predicted from start to the begining. But as any system it can be cheated. Time travel is just that. When you come to the incconsistencies in time travel the universe itself can gradualy bridge out the inconsistencies into a rasonable act-consequence link. In BTTF these periods are slow. Simply because our universe is not intended to work that way. It is almost like it is running on 286 PC.

One of the most obvious manifestations of this in BTTF would be Marti's disapearing in the "Enchantment under the Sea" dance concert.

In that logic the moment Marti saved his father from being hit by a car was the moments Marti's existence became a iregularity in the act-consequece link of reality. The universe started branching and changing all events from the begining of his existence eventually comming to his totall disapearace.

Calculation was done from the new active time in 1955 until the end of the world. (To the point where Marties actions had effect in the future ). The future and all matter in it merges into the consistent link with current active reality in 1955. This takes a week in the movie and gets changed in the last seconds of Marties existence.

Now the problem in Part 2 . About the mentioned cloning when you time travel to the future.

Yes, Marti and Jeniffer shouldn't have been there in the future. Marti and Jeniffer did jump over those 30 years. But in that jump they did not endanger their own existence. They endangered their future selves existence. So if Marti and Jeniffer were to stick around long enough in the future (long enough for the universe to correct the iregular act-consequece link between skiped over time , then The future versions of Marti and Jenifer were going to disapear, together with the originally planned events that were calculated in the case that Marti and Jennifer never made the "jump" to the future.

When you look at it this way then there are no flaws in BTTF. It is just a wierd theory but eventualy it works.

One very interesting premise about this is, that if Marti did not make his parents fall in love again he would disapear but also things he has done since his arival in 1955 would become iregularities and would have been removed , therefore he would not be there to push his father out of the way from that car, eventualy making everything as it was originally, therefore again enabling his existence but ereasing his time travel, but eventually creating it again .... wierd loop, but a sound one.

And it goes like that forever. Nice.

Last edited by Ivan : Apr 16, 2003 at 10:17 AM.
Ivan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2003, 10:32 AM   #3
JACKER
The Paradisal Man
1,359 flights since Dec 2001

You're absolutely right! By Marti not doing anything in the future after pushing his dad out of the car, things would have been set back to the way they were. But would this particular Marti who pushedhis father out of the car seize to exist somehow? But then he'd just be back again to push his dad then seize to exist again. I'm confused.

And if Marti and Jenniffer stayed in 2015 long enough their older selves would have disapeared? In BACK TO THE FUTURE, things change around the time travelers (conviniently) when a timeline is changed. For others it would just be another timeline being created. So it's like everyone still exists somehow. I don't know if I'm making sense.
JACKER is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2003, 04:44 AM   #4
Tha Warrior
Pilot
26 flights since Feb 2003

I can see what yall are trying to say, but its only a fim!!

No need to get this worked up about it, it was made to bring entertainment into peoples lives and to brighten their lives up.

For this it has succeded tremendisly!!!

Tha Warrior is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2003, 05:17 AM   #5
chadlar
Pilot
22 flights since Aug 2003

here is an idea to throw out there is "Paradox"

The idea that Marty would have disappeared and everything fixing it self so that marty would do it again would be a Paradox, I think anyway

the idea that time changes slowly is a good idea to explain it.
chadlar is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2003, 05:57 AM   #6
AWol
Wing Commander
226 flights since Aug 2003

marty and jens older selfs would have been in the fucture because they go back to the past, but they would be awear of what is happening.
AWol is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2003, 02:38 PM   #7
Simm442000
Wing Commander
483 flights since Aug 2003

These movies were made for fun value. I don't take them that serious but that is a interesting point that AWol brought up. To me it would of been impossible to go in the future and see yourselfs.The reason is simple when you go in time you don't live thorough the present to see yourselfs in the future. The Terminator hits it right in the nose when it involves timetravel.
Simm442000 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2003, 02:54 PM   #8
AWol
Wing Commander

einstiens thery sugests that time travel is possible but only into the future, if this is true then you will not see yourself, but in the films it is not true so they can
Old Sep 8, 2003, 03:00 PM   #9
Simm442000
Wing Commander
483 flights since Aug 2003

To me time travel can only happan in space. You need a strong ship and the energy of light. If he had that energy but we used that spacecrafts of today, they will just get turn into a thin line in space when it slows up. I will give it about 300 years til somebody try's time travel
Simm442000 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2003, 06:33 AM   #10
AWol
Wing Commander

i already have, when i was about 6 i made a time machine out of my devet and a couple of pillows, it didnt work very well, i thing i needed a flux capacitor
Old May 6, 2004, 06:23 AM   #11
B Rh POS
Wing Commander
455 flights since Apr 2004

The entire series is filled with errors, but then I couldn't care less about keeping the story absolutely accurate
It's supposed to be fun
B Rh POS is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 08:47 PM   #12
SF_not_Sci-Fi
Hellblazer
2,877 flights since Nov 2001

Quote:
Originally posted by Ivanhoe
When you time travel to the past, say 1 week in the past you clone yourself, since there are two versions of you(one a week younger). But when you time travel to the future you clone yourself also. At least that is what BTTF suggests.

This is another contradiction since when you time travel to the future, as Emmet said and showed with Einstein, you skip over that time.

If this is true then how can Marti and Jeniffer see Future versions of themselves. Why didn't they skip over these 30 years? These thirty years should have developed without their presence because they technically were not there. Therefore ... No one can see its future. Only the past.

Another Mistake, damn.

Time machine or Predicability machine? Hmmm ...
Well they came back to develop into their future selves eventually didn't they? If you take time travel for granted, I don't see how that creates a paradox... though of course it does not work with the nonsense 'disapearing photo' thing used in BTTF. In this case their future selves and everything connected to them would have to dissapear every time the protaganists seemed in danger of not making it back to their time of origen.
SF_not_Sci-Fi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2005, 11:47 PM   #13
Unregistered
n/a flights since
Unhappy Re: Time travel and cloning

i think so ..... that is correct ....
Old Feb 9, 2005, 08:26 AM   #14
doc.brown
Recruit Pilot
7 flights since Feb 2005
Question Re: Time travel and cloning

Is there something strange about time travelling to the future and cloning yourself? there's nothing wierd about that.... (apart from, the fact that you can't time travel).
doc.brown is offline Reply With Quote

← Previous Thread | Next Thread → Home > SciFlicks SQUAD! Forums > Sci-Fi Movies Galleria > Sci-Fi Movie Titles: [ # -- E ] > Back to the Future [movie series]